Electronic Way (E-way Bill) is a bill for movement of goods of the value more than Rs 50,000 to be generated on the eWaybill Portal. A registered person is not allowed to transport goods without an e-way bill.
It has come into effect from 1st April 2018 for interstate transactions. Let’s understand the key aspects of E-way Bill
- When should an E-way bill be generated?
When there is a movement of goods of value more than Rs 50,000, an e-way bill needs to be generated.
- In relation to a supply
- Other than supply
- Or due to inward supply from an unregistered person
Supply usually means a:
- Sale - sale of goods when payment made
- Transfer - branch transfers
- Barter - payment is done by goods
2. What are the important components of the E-way Bill?
An E-way Bill form has two components:
A Information about the consignor and consignee
- Details of GSTIN of the recipient
- Invoice Number
- Invoice date
- Place of delivery
- Value of goods
- HSN code
- Transport document number
- Reasons of transportation
B Information about the vehicle comprising of transporter details
3. Cases when E-way bill is not required
In the following cases, E-way bill generation is not necessary:
- Goods transported under Custom Supervision or under custom seal.
- Goods being transported by rail where the consignor of the goods is the central government.
- Empty cargo containers are being transported
- Movement of goods caused by Defence formation
- Goods specified as exempt from E-way bill requirements
5.What is the validity period of the E-way Bill?
It depends upon the distance the goods need to be transported. For example, for regular mode of transportation, for every 100 kms, one day validity is provided.
When the first entry is made in Update Part B (Vehicle number / Transport Document in case of road), the validity of the E-way bill starts & expires on the midnight of the same day.
6. Can the validity of the E-way bill be extended?
Yes, the validity can be extended. If the consignment doesn't reach the destination in time due to reasons like natural calamities, trans-shipment delay, accident or conveyance etc. the E-way bill validity can be extended.
7. Can an E-Way Bill be modified or cancelled?
The e-way bill once generated cannot be modified or edited. One the Vehicle details in part B can be updated. However, if the bill is wrongly generated, it can be cancelled and generated again with fresh information. The cancellation is required to be done within 24 hours.
8. Can multiple invoices be clubbed to create a single E-way bill?
In case multiple invoices are generated, multiple eway need to be generated. Thus, for each invoice, there needs to be one e-way bill. However, if there are multiple e-way bills, one consolidated e-way can be generated for the transportation.
9. How to generate an E-way Bill?
E-way bills can be generated on the E-way bill portal. Or else, GimBooks is one of the best integrated software which allows you to create e-way bills alongside invoices in a few easy steps on mobile.
Read here, for a step by step guide.